Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Kauai - The Garden Isle

Hawaii!!  Can it beat?  I submit it cannot!  We even got a special treat as we arrived in Honolulu to connect to Kauai, our own Hawaiian dancer (in the background, pink leg warmers, asleep because she had danced herself out) Seriously it was so funny, some people just have more courage then others, and shake what their momma gives them with or without music, or a dance floor!
 We were excited for the chance to visit Kauai this year with Shawn's parents.  I have heard how amazing this island is, but I wasn't prepared for how incredibly beautiful it really is. It is my favorite island (I only have been to Maui, but still…gorgeous!)  We stayed at the Point in Poipou.

 The first day we hit Brenekee Beach, and tried our hands at paddle boarding.  Shawn and I found out we have pretty weak cores, as both of us struggled to stay standing for very long, and we are both terrified that Jaws was lurking out there in the deep blue.  I fell off my board after paddling pretty far from shore and about had a panic attack!  You've never seen a person move so quickly…. I could just hear the Jaws music in my mind as I tried to pull myself back on the board.


 That morning we also scarfed up our first Puka Dog - pretty yummy and this is coming from someone who doesn't like hotdogs-. The Mango relish hit the spot!
 One of the best parts of the trip is the amazing food - fresh fish, etc…and of course - Hulu Pie!  They had three varieties this time out and Shawn wasn't about to share his favorites.
 The Boogie Boarding Bros: These two would stay out for what seemed like hours getting pounded by the waves trying to catch the next best one.  I did my best to tag along but I was no match for the waves.  At one point I was rolling (inside the wave) having my body slammed on the sand below and I thought - I have babies at home what I am doing?  Maybe next time!

 This is a better representation of what I did - read, listen to music, relax with the sand between my toes!
 We got a kick out of this sign - which we termed the Poltergeist at Point of Poipou! Kind of creepy if you think about it.
 THE highlight was the open air Helicopter tour we did of the island.  Unfortunately unless you have a strap on your camera you aren't allowed to take pictures on board because of the potential for it to fly out the window, so this is as good as we got!  The island is truly breathtaking!  We got to see the waterfall in Jurassic Park, Grand Canyon of Hawaii, the Napali Coast, and several other areas filmed in popular movies.


 We finished that amazing day with my FAVORITE, FAVORITE beach = Hanalei!  Oh my, could a beach be anymore breathtaking.  Huge sandy surf, blue water, surrounded by green mountains and trees.  It was also the best boogie boarding beach we found too.
 Our next adventure took us kayaking up the Waimea River and hiking to a the Secret Falls waterfall.  This so fun mostly because of the fun company we had, Julie and Kelly are always game to go on an adventure!


 Shawn's nice photo bomb!
 I didn't take my chance to bath in a waterfall because it just wasn't quite hot enough to dare the cold water…maybe next time!


 We completed our journey with a zip line tour.  This is such a fun activity and this time was super special because 1) I got to do one of the lines hanging upside down. 2) I got to ride tandem with Julie!  You know you love your mother in law if you can be connected for a 1/2 mile of zip lining!  It was such a funny moment, especially try to get unclipped.  I couldn't stop laughing!





Aloha for now Kauai - you treated us good!



1 comment:

Beth Willmore said...

That looks like SO much fun!! You're such a babe and I'm glad you got to go and have a great vacation with your hubby and your in-laws (although you must like yours a lot better than I like mine...)
I'm totally with you on the sharks though! Have you not watched SHARK WEEK woman!!!???
What a pretty place, glad you got to experience it!