Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A week of Firsts

Sam had his first piano lesson and basketball game this week!  We were given a name for a piano teacher and we already love her.  Miss Connie had all three kids clambering for a turn to play.  Sometimes it takes an experience like this to confirm the choices we make - our choice to get a piano, though an expense one, has been so worth it.  Last night Shawn and I broke out in chopsticks and I was able to be the accompanist to Jack and Lyvie singing I Am a Child of God.  

On Saturday Sam inaugurated his basketball playing days.  He played a good game and was aggressive in getting after the ball.  He made a basket, and managed dribbling down the court without too much difficulty.  He rocked his jersey and his Nike Elite socks and I think he felt pretty awesome afterwards.

I believe that as a parent your true colors shine at your children's extracurricular activities.  What kind of parent am I?  Well…..not the one I wish I was.  I have the hardest time just watching.  Life for me has never been a spectator's sport - I am a cheering, yelling, coaching, PLEASE stop talking kind of mom.  I am constantly coaching Sam from the sidelines.  In some ways I'm happy that I want him to do well, but I don't want to be THAT mom!  So about 1/2 through the first half I called it a game for myself, and went and played ball with Jack and Lyvie on the other half of the court.  I hope that I can learn to sit back and watch, and just be happy to see my kids enjoying being involved, but until then, you'll find me walking around far enough away from the sideline that Sam can't hear my mutterings and suggestions.

                                      

2 comments:

Freeman Family said...

What? What is this forbidden sport that uses a ball and a net? :) Sam looks like a natural out there although he is a stud at whatever he does! My dad got kicked out of several sporting events when I was a kid for yelling so I figure my kids don't have a chance with me in their corner! It's so hard to just "watch"

My Everythings said...

This makes me laugh out loud. I can totally see you at his games. I fear I am the same way....maybe just not quite so "executive" about it. :)