Thursday, February 16, 2017

A Mother

With every birth of my five children, my mother has come out to take care of me for the week after.  With Sam I relied on her for all the questions I had about how to do this "mother" thing - how to feed him, get him to sleep, and questions about what was happening to my own body.  She guided me through and I was forever grateful.  Then came four more beautiful babies, adding more to my plate, but also to hers.  She dropped everything in her life - her work, my dad, her obligations - to rescue me.  She came across the country to Iowa and New York, and drove through terrible snow storms to get to Yakima.  She cooks, she cleans, she chauffeurs the kids to and from school and activities, she plays with the little ones that are at home.  She shops, she makes freezer meals, she cuddles the baby so I can shower or sleep.  And she does it because she loves me and she loves my family.  She doesn't expect a thank you.  

For this act of love alone, I am forever grateful for my mother.  Today as she took the kids to school for the last time - she is heading home today - I hugged her and started to cry.  I continued to cry as she drove away, because even as an adult, one of the greatest comforts I can ever receive is having my mom walk through the door.  

It just makes everything seem like its going to be alright.  I think I will be okay without her, but this daughter,  that has come to rely upon her gets a little nervous to see her drive away.  Thank you mom for being such a great example of love.  We couldn't do it without you. 

1 comment:

Freeman Family said...

I am choking up reading this! Thank God for mom's! She is a good one and I know she is very proud of the wonderful mother you are as well!