Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Welcome To Summersville



Welcome one and all... this is a chalk town complete with all the essentials: #1 McDonald's, followed by a zoo, park, library, post office, swimming pool, church, mall, and of course The DOLLAR STORE (curse you Grandma Julianne!) The kids loved this idea, they loved it so much that Lyv started to sob uncontrollably when it was time to go in for lunch. I'm so mean, but I thought her crying face was so funny - so dramatic! Our Memorial Weekend was pretty low key, but super fun. We cooked up a dutch oven Raspberry Cheesecake cobbler, slept out on the trampoline (got rained out at 5 a.m.), had a battleship tournament, and played a major game of softball at the ward picnic. Yesterday I woke up and realized that I'm getting old... why did this realization come? I couldn't move my body, I was so sore! All because I ran some bases? Really that is so sad.


Summer is fully upon us, and we love it - there is nothing better than icecream or a popcicle, or Lyv's case both. Jack is making progress, I won't say mastered yet, but progress in potty training. Mostly due to the fact that he loves, and I mean loves to go pee outside and be naked. Seriously this child was born in the wrong time, to the wrong mom because it drives me crazy. However, I will let him strip down to go potty outside in hopes that this will make the whole potty training complete. (this is the second picture of Jack's naked back side, and hopefully the last, its just so funny!)






Traditionally my family immediate and extended gathers together to celebrate Memorial Weekend camping in Island Park. We have dutch oven food all weekend long, lots of games, golf, fishing, and laughs. This reunion still occurs (even without ME! what?) and we've missed it so several years. Last year we hurried home after Shawn's graduation to be there and I'm so glad we did... it was the last family picture that we have with my entire family in it (minus Christine). Everyone was there. It was also the last time I saw my brother Ryan, as we moved out to New York a week later. Ryan loved this tradition, and he never missed it. He loved the outdoors, loved camping and fishing. He encompassed the ideal of camping - it was natural, it was part of him. So that being said, this holiday and tradition though they are still celebrated and loved, have a little piece of wonderful missing. There is one less fisherman, one less muddy dirtbike, and one less smile at the campfire. I love and miss you Ryan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Shawn get in a fight with the razor? HAHA, I'm sure he's just coolin off for summer! You guys look like you've been staying busy and having fun. Miss you!

Julie said...

Shawn WHAT DID YOU DO? Wow I swear you had hair last time I saw you. Kids are hilarious...can't wait to see you all!! Love you all