Saturday, April 5, 2014

Spring Breakin' in Maui



Wowi! Maui!  After a long wait (11 years) we finally were able to meet up with Shawn's parents for a week in Maui.  They were kind enough to let us mooch off of their time share and we were more than excited to have a week of sun and sand!




We made the most of each day - going on a whale watch, zip lining, golfing, boogie boarding, and EATING!  I don't think I'll be hungry for at least another year…fresh fish and true Hawaiian shaved ices made my tummy happy!! I also got an experience I have been waiting for my entire life - to visit Pearl Harbor.  As a history lover, WWII has always had a special place in my heart, and to be aboard the USS Arizona Memorial was a sacred, humbling experience.  I was overwhelmed to see the oil bubbling up to the surface from a ship that has been sunk for nearly 72 years.  To see the names on wall there made me so grateful for the sacrifices that others have made to preserve and create our great nation.  It was one of my favorite moments.  Also exciting was the chance Shawn and I had to spend with such great company - we laughed a lot!  The only downside, besides missing my little munchkins, was I lost my wedding ring after only being on the beach for about 5 minutes our first day!!!  After combing through the sand for 10 minutes, my father in law found it!!  Thanks heavens - that would have been a Debbie Downer for the rest of the trip.

Waikiki Beach
USS Missouri - signing of surrender from Japan


Golfing at Ka'anapali - there may have been a few swear words dropped on the course this day!
USS Arizona Memorial - Pearl Harbor
Victory - Surviving nearly 12 years of marriage, 4 children, & 7 years of medical school/residency
Humpback whale birthing season runs from Jan - March in Hawaii!! AMAZING to see these creatures!

I was happy to be reunited with my kids after a week of fun, they I'm sure would have taken another week of the life of luxury that is Grandma's, Aunt Michelle's, and Aunt Brigit's, but alas….we had to head back to Yakima!  We've been lucky to have pretty awesome weather this week and hit up the Yogurt Shack to celebrate!  Max a lover of sweets was not thrilled to be sharing, with the worst sharer of all time - Shawn.  The stare down between these two was pretty serious and Max squealed and shrieked every time Shawn tried to sneak a spoonful.  We got to end the two weeks of awesomeness with an awesome group of friends!  We have been so blessed to be adopted into such fun people's lives.  We get to sit back, and laugh while they entertain us until our kids are literally falling asleep on the floor! I'm not sure if we ready for school start up on Monday, but these two weeks have been full of all good things!


(Love Jack photo bombing this pic of the "adults" - what a goof!)

3 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

SO fun! I'm so glad you had the chance to go and do that without kids! Looks like you guys had a great time, and I'm jealous of the warm weather since it's STILL snowing off and on here in the good old 'Burg! :)

SO glad you didn't lose your wedding ring, that made me get a sick feeling in my stomach just reading that!

Pearl Harbor is so neat and glad that you got to experience it!

Freeman Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freeman Family said...

So glad you were able to get away and soak up some sun! I am pretending I am running my toes through the sand as I look at the beautiful pictures!