Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again!

Yes we've returned from our wonderful vacation to Idaho. We had such a great trip, and the boys loved being loved by their cousins and grandparents. We also had a great time enjoying our being around family and friends and I already miss everyone. But it is always great to be back in our house, although this return is a little bittersweet for me because I feel like I'm only coming back to basically pack up and leave for good again. We have really grown to love Iowa and so we will have a hard time leaving, although being close to family definetly will help ease the sadness. Here are some pictures of Christmas from our "film" camera. Its so funny because I felt like I had to ration my picture taking to make sure I had enough film to capture the moments.... so needless to say if our Christmas had been digital this year we would have had a lot more photage. This first pic is what Sam should have been doing the entire time, but ended up missing much need hours of sleep. Here he and Cooper fell asleep about 10 minutes from home after being awake for a three hour car ride! Nice huh?
Jack hit some milestones while we were away - he rolled over and he has started to laugh! He really is such a happy baby and smiles and he has started to talk to anyone and anything. I'm just amazed by how quickly he is growing.

For Christmas Santa was extra kind and decided that since we would be leaving Iowa before the 25th that he would come early! What a great guy. He came on the 20th, bringing Sam his BIG HUGE Mack Truck. (When he told Santa that, Santa that he meant BIG Mac as in hamburger and was feeling really sorry for such a deprived child). Jack got a red wagon which he was ecstatic about and hasn't quite raving about since. Both boys got a John Deere Gator from Grandma Julie-dog that is still in the box because it is too cold and icy to venture outside yet.

We had a great vacation starting off in SLC at the Little America (a family tradition) where we enjoyed swimming and the breakfast buffet!! We then headed home to celebrate the rest of the holiday. We were able to go up to Island Park for a couple of days at Shawn's cabin, and it was BEAUTIFUL up there. Tons of snow equal tons of fun. In the picture of Shawn and Sam in the snow - Shawn is standing in the snow that is how deep it was!

We partied it up for New Years with some fun games and good food, and then I headed to Othello, WA with the two boys for my nieces baptism while Shawn headed home for school. Yes that means I had the fun experience of traveling with the boys by myself. BUt thanks to great people who could see my silent crys for help as I struggled to fold up the stroller while holding Jack and three carry-on bags we did great! (It really made me grateful for people who step up and help out and it made me more resolved to do the same in the future!) All in all we had a great holiday and it was wonderful to be with our family who we miss. Thanks to them for making it so much fun and for helping us out with the boys. We are looking forward to some fun months ahead as we wind down our time here in Waukee . . . until next Saturday - peace out!

6 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

I'm glad you made it back, and I'm glad Jack loved the red wagon SO much! :) We miss you guys, too. It was so good to see you. I feel like even though you live a long ways away, I still know your boys pretty well. Good job on coming home enough that we are all familiar. Sam is such a doll and Jack is the best and sweetest baby EVER! We love and miss you guys! Tell Shawn to start sketchin'!:)

My Everythings said...

Jack is so adorable! He has such beautiful blue eyes, just like Sam.
I can't believe that snow. I think I might die in Nebraska.

cortney and neil said...

Man that seemed like a fast trip. I always think I will run into you, and then I don't. I had to laugh when I saw sam got a gator. Just wait until he dumps Jack out and runs over him. This is a frequent event at our house. It is always a crack up to watch our two zooming through Suey's yard. (wierd I guess it is my yard now)

Brigit said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun trip home. I wish we could have been there. Good luck with the transitions the next few months. I hated leaving Iowa! I loved it there. Eat a ton at Machine Shed and Granite City before you leave. We miss those!!!

Andrea said...

Welcome "home!!" I am glad you had such a fun Christmas break. I love that pic of Jack in his bumbo--so cute! Aren't those the best ever.

PS: Hunter just might have to copy Sam, and get one of those cool John Deere hoodies! (i don't think Sam will mind) That is awesome.

Freeman Family said...

Glad you had a great trip! It is so nice to see lights on in your house again. I will have to get used to the fact that in the near future it may be dark all of the time. :( Carter keeps asking me when Sam is coming back from Idaho. Can't wait to catch up with you!