Tuesday, December 15, 2009

TidBit Tuesday - Gift Ideas

Ho...Ho..Ho... Here are some ideas that we used this year. Most of them came as a prior gift, but I thought they were so spectacular that I wanted to share them with you.

BUT first... We made our gingerbread house a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to post our icing recipe. It is actually called Gingerbread House Mortar. This icing rocks your socks. Seriously it is great to work with because it drys like cement and drys quickly. Here's the recipe:

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar (Beat egg whites and tartar until it peaks)
1/8 tsp vanilla
3 cups (or more) powdered sugar
Mix well, and add more sugar to make the icing thicker.

#1: Personalized Children's Books: Sam recieved a football book with HIMSELF as the main character last year from the Crapo Family, and it is still one of his favorites to read. There are several websites where you can purchase these kind of books, and a lot of variety for girls, boys, or either. The one that I went to http://www.dhchildrensbooks.com/. You can do sports, super heros, balerinas, princesses, etc. It's a great and cheap way to give something with a little extra meaning.
#2: Homemade Stories - Now to preface this, not everyone has a Shawn in their home, but the idea could still work. This year for Christmas the boys are recieving The Amazing Adventures of Sam the Dwarf and Jack the Munchkin. Shawn started to tell the boys silly bedtime stories earlier this year, and it was a hit. So I thought why not put some of the stories in a book and have Shawn (my WONDERFUL artist) illustrate some pictures. It turned out AWESOME!!! He drew the pictures, I colored, we scanned them into the computer uploaded them to Shutterfly.com and wha-laa.... A hard bound book for both boys. No matter if you making a story about your kids or one that might be an old family tale, I really like shutterfly.com, they almost always have a sale or discount running, and what child doesn't like to see himself in a book?

#3: Cousin Match Card Game: My mom made the adorable cards for the grandkids this year. There are two cards/grandchild and each card has a little tidbit of info about that child on it. The kids play memory with the cards or another favorite in our family is Slap Jack! She took pictures to her favorite copy shop and they were able to put them on playing cards. A great idea especially if you live far away from family, its a good way for your kids to get familiar with their cousins.

#4: The Last Lecture: I just finished reading this book and I loved it! It is a great, entertaining reminder about priorities and little things we can do everyday to be better. I think it is especially pertinent as the author was facing terminal cancer with only a few months to live, making his recommendations much more meaningful and less superficial! I loved, its a short read, and would make a good stocking stuffer. If you haven't heard of the book or the man behind it check out www.thelastlecture.com it is a great story!


#5: No Sew Tutu: My friend Jenni (hope you don't mind me sharing this) started to make these in Iowa. I know the idea isn't new, but it is so cute, and now that there will be a little girl arriving in our house, my mind is making the shift to all things girly. I asked Jenni how to make these, and she sent me this link to a video tutuorial. I think these are adorable, CHEAP!, and easy to make. I made this one to put in Baby Girl Summers stocking, and its a miniature of what you would make. Check it out if you want to give a little girl out there a fun dress-up or dance accessory. I also had a friend make her daughter a peacock for Halloween using blue and green hues - it was so cute! Thanks Jennilyn. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7aSPMEn7S0

NEXT week.... TidBit Tuesday will feature some of our Favorite Holiday Treats! Hopefully in time for you to use at a party, a neighbor gift, or I guess if worse comes to worse...to eat all by yourself!

3 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

Holy smokes those are such CUTE ideas Megan! Thanks - I love the book you made for the boys and you're right, it wouldn't look the same with my really awesome stick figures in it... maybe I could commission Shawn to draw a book for my kids too! :)

Freeman Family said...

Yum...you cease to amaze me with your creativity! I love gifts that have meaning to them so I appreciate all your ideas! I love Shawn's book! What a lucky boys to have such an artist dad! We got your package today..I think I may know what Claire's is?? :) We love you and miss you a ton!

lori said...

I LOVE all your ideas. I want to do one of those books now. Shawn is an amaizing drawer. Those pictures wetre faoulous. I am very excited to make one of those tutus. though. I have never seen it done with the ribbon and I love it. Thanks for all the great ideas.