Wednesday, December 2, 2009

When Parenting Backfires.... and other fun tales

As Christmas approaches a very special visitor has made an appearance at our home - Marty the Elf. He is a scout for Santa Claus to report on all of the behavior, good or bad in the house. I also have high hopes that this will be the thing to make Sam (and my) behavior turn into hugs and kisses, I love you's to Jack and sharing! HA! Well today after being put into a time out for pinching Jack and sticking his tongue out at me - he opens the door and yells....


"Marty's watching YOU!" How do I not laugh at this! He has also informed in the last few days since Marty's appearance that I will not be getting socks (the gift I asked Santa for) and that I can't watch Dancing With the Stars anymore (since he's biggest punishment is to not let him watch a show). What do you do when parenting backfires on you, and you start to hear yourself in your children? Sometimes I laugh, other times I feel a little ashamed that I don't have more patience, other times I shake my head and think how can I deal with this and he's only 4?

In other tales - Jack had a big fall in the tub last night peforming another one of his death defying splash moves, and cut his eye pretty good. Luckily no stitches were required, just some love.


Finally - I'm 20 weeks, half way through and can hardly believe it. We get to find out next Tuesday what this little one is, but no exactly at the ultrasound. Shawn can't make it, since my doctor is in Idaho, so I'm having the tech put the gender in an envelope and driving like a maniac back to Utah to open it with Shawn! So word to the wise, don't be on the road between Idaho and SLC Tuesday afternoon - I'll be in a hurry.....

10 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I think sam and Landon are on the same page, he has been a little terror lately and Santa isn't doing the trick... lets hope he lives to see 3! You look so tiny, I can't believe you are 20 weeks! I can't wait to see what you are having. Miss you guys

Beth Willmore said...

Ok I'm glad I'm not the only parent who hears things back from her children that don't make me proud! Meg said to me the other day, "Mom am I driving you crazy?" Yikes - I need to be more patient!
You look SO stinkin' cute and I can't wait to find out what you're having! Please be careful while you're driving like a maniac!

Mandi said...

Three kids, Wow good luck with that. I am not sure we will ever attempt that one.

Commissioner Z. McKinlay said...

Oh Meg, this post made me laugh my pants off! Marty the Elf was a brilliant move on your part and someday, you and Sam will have a good laugh at it too. And you are stinking cute preggers! I want it to be a girl;) Jack and Mayzie can definitely hook up (if he is a perfect gentleman).--Nicolette

cortney and neil said...

I love the elf. Ours is named Jingles. I sure hate it when Christmas is over, and I can't threaten my kids anymore.

Amber said...

oh my....parenting backfires on me ALOT. It's really sad. I need to be better. Anywho poor jack! But YEAH for finding out what your having!!! Call us!

and drive safe;)

Freeman Family said...

4 year olds are WAY to smart! Carter asked me the other night how "Sam" talks to Santa since his mouth doesn't open! UGH! I LOVE your belly! I can't wait to hear what it is! Give Jack a big kiss on his ouchie from us! He is SO big! Miss you a ton!

Team Harris said...

You are looking so cute and tiny still. I can't WAIT to find out what you're having. you better post right away. good luck! :) so fun.

Courtney said...

Megan...I have been so out of the loop that I had no idea you were expecting!! Congratulations! I hope all is going well.

I hear myself all the time when Drew opens his mouth. And I wonder the same thing, "How do I deal with you and you're only 4?" I still don't have an answer to that one.

Miss you.

allison said...

I did that too. Jason couldn't be there until about a week or so after I got my ultra sound so I had to wait until he got home to open for the weekend to open it. It wasn't bad until someone asked me about it and reminded me that it was just sitting on my TV.
Good Luck and I can't wait to hear.