Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Kid Crafts

For preschool we've done lessons on Winter - here are some winter craft ideas that the kids seemed to really enjoy:

#1) Marshmallow Igloo - Use a disposable cup as the base, cover in frosting and stick marshmallows on. I think mini-marshmallows would be better to use, but the big ones were what we had on hand. The boys thought the little flags were AWESOME!

#2) Cottonball Snowman - This one is pretty self explanatory. We talked about circles that day.

#3) Penguin: We had a ball with this one. We talked about shapes again (circles, ovals, triangles) and then used Goldfish crackers for a math lesson. The penguins "ate" the fish out of the ocean - a blue sheet of paper. We counted how many they ate, and how many were left. The kids did this over and over again.

I was very apprehensive about doing preschool for Sam this year, but it has been a huge blessing for all three of us (Sam, Jack, and I). I did a big assesment of Sam a few weeks ago and was so impressed at his knowledge - not due to me, but just overall, he's retained a lot from his many years of preschool and his many wonderful teachers. I feel very confident in sending him to school next year and not having it be overwhelming for him. I was also completely blown away at how much Jack actually picks up from our lessons. He often wanders in and out of class during lessons and so I didn't have high expectations, but he knows so much! I have treasured this opportunity to work one on one with them and to get to see them in these learning "aha!" moments. Its been a great experience for me. I have also seen how one more year together has helped them create a stronger friendship and bond. As Jack continues to develop, and talk more - he and Sam play better each day. I love seeing them together... but I'm sad it will only be like this for 8 more months.

2 comments:

Freeman Family said...

Carter came home from school with the same penguin the other day! Too cute! Love the ideas! Miss you!

Smittys said...

I am stealing those ideas!! Love them