Sunday, August 24, 2014

Are we there yet?


School is back in session in two days, and as I sat down to add the final pictures of our summer activities I couldn’t help but feel a little sentimental.  This summer has been such an enjoyable summer with the kids.  Three of the four have reached an age where they are actually “fun” to take places – meaning: they can all walk, they take care of their bathroom needs independently, they don’t need to be watched constantly to make sure they aren’t going to choke on something or unknowingly put themselves in harms way.


That being said – Max is still in that stage, but I don’t seem to mind it as much as I did with the olders.  Perhaps it comes with parenting experience, but I am more and more convinced that it is parent exhaustion that causes me to not be as paranoid.  I am loving watching Max at this age.  The formation of his first words, he is literally a parrot around the house.  My favorite Maxism: He refuses to call Shawn dad – it is either “Ma” or “Sam”!  I get such a kick out of his “O-tay” and am always freshly in awe at how much he understands and does independently.  He has also mastered a very technical thumbs up - which I think is absolutely adorable.  

A few weekends ago Shawn took the three olders on a camping trip.  We elected to have Max stay home with me (so we wouldn’t have to deal with the fire, the joys of sleeping with a toddler, etc.) and as he and sat for the first time completely alone I couldn’t help but feel a little bit sad that my baby isn’t really a baby anymore.  He has been such a treat for me because he is so affectionate and loving, especially to me.  I am his world, his center, his go-to.  He gives me wet kisses frequently and chimes in I wuv ya, after I tell him I love him -  but this won't last for long.  I can already see this moment in time slipping away as he runs after the older kids trying to do exactly what they are doing. Am I ready to have Max be the last sweet baby? Not knowing if there will be another little Summers to be held in my arms in the future I’m going to soak up this time all while I can get it.

But I also am looking forward to the time when all of our kiddos are at the fun - jump in the car and go stage.  There are so many adventures waiting for our family, I just haven't quite made up my mind if we are there yet.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

He's so cute. I can see in these pics that he is a sweetheart.