Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I'm writing this feeling a little sad - oh, wo is me!! We should be having an entire weekend of yummy dutch oven food, golf, camping, horseshoes, races, and did I mention awesome dutch oven food?? Every Memorial Weekend the Hill Family gathers in Island Park, ID for an annual family reunion, and it is something I look forward to each year. Unfortunately we've been absent for the past two years since moving to Iowa, and I'm really feeling it this morning. So here are some of my favorite memories:

1. Eating in the snowmachine trailer, wearing snow clothes, b/c there is a foot of snow still on the ground - we really are "serious" campers.
2. Having a waterfight every year usually started by my brother Chad and my Aunt Lori.
3. Fried chicken, potatoes, scones, fruit cobblers, chicken enchiladas, brownie pudding, salmon, pork roast, lasagna, pizza, apple torte, you name we cook it in a dutch oven!!!! AHHHH - it brings tears to my eyes.

4. Playing a golf scramble and actually "making" par b/c I can rely on others drives, perfecting my horseshoe toss and getting ringers, running and nearly dying on a 5K, I'll blame it on the altitude change!
5. Finally being with my family, cousins, aunts, and uncles, who I don't get to see very often - and having a heated argument with my brothers and sisters because we all think that we are the smartest and most correct.

How do you celebrate Memorial Day???

9 comments:

Julie said...

I love the videos and the slide shows! looks like you had a great time. This Memorial Day was kind of a bust. We didn't even head to the cabin. The weather has been very rainy and windy. I feel bad that you weren't able to share this weekend with your family too. Life and med. school have their tough times. You should fly home with us when we leave your place....think about it! Love you and miss you all.

Ashton & Co. said...

I feel bad for you on these kinds of weekends, for living away. We missed you guys, too. I was wondering if your family was still doing the big weekend. The weather here is very wet and I guess there's still a lot of snow in I.P. Anyway, cute pics out of the album- I'm sure everyone missed you guys, too!

Andrea said...

Well I don't know...but I thought a BBQ, swimming for the kids, fun friends, and a little "US of A" trivia quiz was pretty dang fun if you ask me!!

I know what you mean though...
every Memorial Day back in UT we always have a really big celebration, and have lots of fun family traditions! But yesterday was a pretty fun substitute :)

Andrea said...

PS: I also thought it was pretty dang funny to see some of the guys sweat it out-- when they thought they were really going to have to answer a Twilight trivia question!! haha

Thanks again, you and Shawn are the best!!!

Anonymous said...

We go camping too. I hear ya on missing the fam for that weekend! I was thinking about all the things my family was doing last weekend and it made me kind of mad to think I had to be stuck here while they were all together!!! :) Oh well guess there is always this summer! Pretty sure your food description made my mouth water. All that food sounds so yummy!

cortney and neil said...

Meg,
I just started blogging (and am addicted) and I found yours. Your little family is so cute. I am glad you are doing good.I havn't seen you forever. We will have to keep in touch now through the whole blogging world :)
Love
Cort

cortney and neil said...

ps our blog is neilandcort.blogspot.com and congrats on the baby.

Nick and Marci Jensen Family said...

I've done the same as cortney. It's so fun to see what you've been doing. It's crazy you live so far away. Thank heavens for blogs.

Amber said...

I'm sorry you missed your weekend, but it looks like you had so much fun in Disneyworld! I wish we could go somewhere warm and fun for the kids. Oh and no worries we do NOTHING for memorial weekend. I know boring but our families are just not big into planning things like that. I wish they were but oh well.