Saturday, May 3, 2008

Sam's Saturday Soup - A Heaping Helping!

This Saturday we have a lot of new things to report, so away we go:


1st - May Day: A holiday that I never celebrated ever, is a big deal in our little neighborhood, and I've forgotten it two years in a row! The kids walk around and drop off little baskets and cups filled with candy and popcorn and wish you a happy May Day. It is such a cute tradition, and I felt bad so we made a day-late May Day treat for our neighbors. Oops.

2nd - Prayer: When we said our blessing on dinner Sam volunteered, (which he never does) and said the cutest things. First he prayed that the ants in the kitchen would go away because they're nasty, second he prayed that we would be able to watch a show and play outside. I love how children just talk about what is going on, a lesson I need to remember when I pray.

3rd - Pella Tulip Festival: Saturday we hit the road and filled our tummies with yummy Dutch food - bolgna sandwich, spiral potatoes, dutch pastries, and dutch mini pancakes that have strawberries and whipped cream. It was fun to see all of the beautiful tulips and the quaint historic town of Pella. Sam's favorite part of the day was riding the yellow cheese wagon - thats right the school bus, it was pretty much the only time he cracked a smile!


4th- Date Night: It was our turn to watch kids and we had a blast eating our crafts that night! The kids made pb balls into snowmen, fruitloop necklaces, and chinese noodle birds nests. Shawn and I also "helped" with that, eat them that is!

12 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

I LOVE yellow shoes on Shawn- definitely his color!
Sam is too cute- Piper still talks about Yammy going bye bye and associates ca chow with him. Cute bird nests- you are so creative and why does your neighborhood od that for May Day? Just wondering. Hope you are feeling good! Love ya!

Steff said...

That's so cute that your neighborhood kids bring around little treats for May Day.

I love hearing little kids say prayers. I LOVE it when they are looking around the room and blessing everything they are looking at.

Sounds like you guys are having a fun month so far. Hooray!

Amber said...

Nice shoes Shawn! You guys always have such fun stuff to do and fun places to go, I wish we had more around here. We probably do and I just don't appreciate it anymore or something. Glad you had a good time!

Andrea said...

Fun pics guys!! I especially loved the one of Sam giving you a kiss on the cheek! I just love those tulips--that was the first year we had gone, and we had a blast(especially with all of that yummy food)I love your "creation" you guys made for date night--what a cute idea Megan!

Debbi said...

I love the may day idea, our little neighbor girl did that this year too. Cute! I also loved the Pella pictures, how fun, we didn't make it down there this year but that food is always great there. And the prayer - how funny! I wanted to tell you today that your cute pregnant tummy is way cute!

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you on Saturday and sorry we kind of lost each other. Our favorite part was totally the yummy funnel cake we had. Sam is too cute and that is the greatest prayer!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! They always go by way to fast! Isn't the food at the tulip festival AWESOME! Just thinking about it makes my mouth water!

My Everythings said...

I can't believe Sam is already big enough to say prayers and I haven't even met him yet!
What colors are you wanting for your nursery?

Julie said...

Wow! the tulips are gorgeous! I really like Sams hair cut short....so cute! Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Love to all!!

allison said...

Cute crafts!
It was fun seeing you at the festival, we never found a big field of tulips but they had a park with all different tulips that were really pretty.

Jilene said...

The May Day thing is a fun idea. That's nice to have neighbors who are friendly like that. Eli & I are both feeling better--thankfully. But Kaelub came down with a bad case of food poisoning yesterday and we had to take him in to get an IV for fluids. We were there for about 4 hours! Eli was so ready to leave. :) Kaelub feels a little better today, but said this was worse than when he was sick in Brazil.

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog. I found it on JoAnns. You are the cutest mom ever making day late May baskets and the date night treat SO CUTE!