Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Pioneer's Day Miracle

This is the note I found on the door Friday night.....



and this is who I found in the room....!!!

Yea, Yea. Yea... Shawn surprised us and came home this past weekend. We started looking at tickets Tuesday, but he said that they were too expensive. Little did I know he had booked a ticket (Thank you Kelly and Julie!) and was planning on coming home. I being the over analizer started to get suspicious of his activity and thought that maybe he was infact surprising me. So I called him on Friday afternoon, hoping I would catch him on the airplane, but he picked up and said he was eating lunch at his apartment in MN!!! I was bummed, and I told him how sad I was that he really wasn't coming home. I pouted for the rest of the night, thinking man, now he decides to care about our finances! My family and I went to a baseball game that night and got back in about 9:15. I went about the routine of getting the boys ready for bed, when my mom came downstairs with this crazy smile on her face and started acting really funny about me getting the boys ready for bed. Finally I told her to let me do my thing, but she still kept looking at me like a kook! So I went upstairs to see what was up and there was my knight in shining armor! Yea! Shawn you have won the husband of the year award. We were so excited to have you home even for a few days! Thanks Mic and Joel for picking him up!

We had our annual Pioneer Day celebration complete with parade and Hill Family Picnic. This year will be the last at my Grandma Belva's home. She was a Grand Marshall in the parade and was a trooper the entire time. I will miss that tradition, and like my sister Stephanie said, there are so many good family memories at that house.

Sunday we took Shawn to Jackson, were he flew back to MN. I love Jackson Hole, WY. It is such a fun little town. If you're ever there you HAVE to, HAVE to, get a Billy Burger from the Cadillac Grill!! They are the best. It was also really fun to be in Jackson, because Shawn took my on one of our first dates there, and it brought back a lot of fun memories for us. Who wouldn't love looking at this view all day either??
In the meantime we've just got back from Utah and found a place to live Oct-Jan. I'm really excited to live in SLC. I've only been in Provo, so this will be fun for us. Any must sees in SLC?? Let me know, I'm sure I'll have time to kill. Sam and Jack continue to play until they drop every day, but it has been a huge blessing - they are too busy to miss Shawn or be bored with me. Life is good, busy and crazy, but I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful family surrounding me!

14 comments:

Jennilyn said...

WOW, how fun! These little visits from Dad are fun, and priceless!!! We will miss our weekends with Dad.

By the way Megan you look so good! Your hair is adorable and you look so cute!

Take care miss you lots

Colette said...

What a great surprise!

Debbi said...

I LOVE it! Seriously, it brought tears to my eyes, because I know how hard it is and how exciting it is when they come home that year! I am glad you found a place to live in SL, that is good - we lived up by the zoo in student housing for 4 years and loved it. There are lots of fun things to do I know you will stay really busy!

Anonymous said...

I would suggest the gateway museum. My kids have a blast there, and of course the aquarium. I'm so glad that you are doing well. You have adorable children.

Freeman Family said...

Glad you FINALLY posted something! I have been having a little withdraw! SO fun to talk to you today! WAY TO GO Shawn! You do win hubby of the year award. Money should be no object when it comes to your family! Good luck with the next rotation!

We miss you all! Give the kiddos squeezes from us!

LaNdOn & cHe' said...

How cute of Shawn I am glad you got to see him. You will love SLC. I was never bored there.

Jen said...

Hi, this is Shawn and Michelle's childhood friend Jen (wood) Claunch. I heard through the grapevine that Shawn came to our ward here in Minneapolis on the day that we were slackers and skipped. I wish we would have been there.

I must admit that I stop by your blog (through Michelle's) and think you have such a neat little family. Good luck with the rest of your schooling adventure!

Oh, and if Shawn needs anything while in Minneapolis, have him give us a call! 612.986.1482

allison said...

What a great surprise!

Amber said...

how fun that he surpised you. i love surprises. I'm glad the boys are having fun here! If you ever want to go to rigby lake...call me!

Nicolette said...

This post made me soooooooooo homesick! This was the first year that I had to miss the 24th of July. I pouted around my house all day and Zac just didn't have enough sympathy for me:( But alas, I am so pumped to come home and see you!!!! Play date! And let's go to Hirsch's wedding together:)

{Erica} said...

SO DANG CUTE! I bet it was the best surprise ever! What a great guy.

Bret and I were talking about you guys the other day and saying how much we miss your little family!

We love it here but man do we miss our Iowa friends!

kim said...

That is so great. It sounds like you had a great time. I can't believe that you are away from your husband so long. i would hate that. Brian cme to Idaho a few days before the festivities and then we also went to Jackson. We could have been there the same time. Crazy. We love Jackson too. It was so great seeing you.

lori said...

That is so great. I love how that suprise pioneer miracle all worked out.
Jackson is so wonderful Jennys lake is a favorite of mine.
Have a great day!

The Allred Family said...

What a fun surprise! I, too, love your hair! How are things? I miss you here. It is a lot different without all of you girls around. Hope that things are going well. I was jealous of the Pioneer day festivities. Although, this year our ward had a fun celebration! Take care, miss you!