Monday, February 4, 2013

You win some, You lose some




Sam had his first "official" wrestling tournament on Saturday.  Even an "official" tournament was fairly casual.  You could pick out the more experienced wrestlers - singlet, shoes, headgear v. the newbies - tennis shoes, shorts and t-shirts, no headgear.  Sam was somewhere in the middle of that.  He wrestled 2 matches.  His first match he lost, but gave a great fight.  He got head butted in the face - but kept wrestling through tears.  He won his second match and it was great to see the smile on his face after having his arm raised to victory.  The funny thing is was Shawn and I's reaction to the matches.  I cried when Sam lost, seeing him walk sullenly over to Shawn, who gave him a big hug.  Shawn cried when he won and came springing over to give him a hug.  I don't know why our reactions to Sam's experience was so different, but I couldn't help but cry when I saw how upset he was.  I also couldn't believe how young some of these wrestlers were - and it broke my heart every time one of them started to cry.  I just wanted to run down there and hug them.  Wrestling has been a good experience for Sam, dealing with the winning and losing aspect of the sport.  Unlike baseball and soccer, it is so individual that it really comes down to only him; and he's had to learn how to do something he's never done before. I'm proud of him trying, and giving it his all, especially when he loses.


2 comments:

Freeman Family said...

Way to go Sam! We are so proud of you! Keep up the great work! Meg, I totally know where you are coming from! It kills me to watch someone lose and cry! I also get so nervous watching Carter I want to vomit! Not sure I can handle 10 more years of this sport and I know I will be grey before I turn 40 because of this sport! Glad he got some use out of the shoes! :)

Julie said...

Tell Sammy we are so proud of him! What a doll. Love to all, give hugs and kisses from me!