Saturday, June 14, 2008

Sam's Saturday Soup - Father's Day Edition

This week has been a great week, despite the horrible flooding and tornados that have ripped across Iowa. We are feeling extremely blessed to still be safe and dry! Since tomorrow is Father's Day - we are devoting this post to the Father's in our lives. 1st - Shawn: He is the absolute greatest Dad. I really am lucky to be married to him because he finds no greater joy (other than really good food) than in being with Sam. He has NEVER complained about watching Sam or helping him - he comes home and instantly takes over! Shawn is Sam's hero and best buddy! Here's a little video of one of the father/son bonding moments that only Shawn can do with Sam - introducing the Football Underdog.


My Dad is the greatest father. I have always been a daddy's girl, but really I can honestly say that there is no father greater than my dad. My mom asked me to think of a reason why I loved my dad, so here are a few:
1. He has always been my "hero" - drove me to my senior trip 4 hours away after I missed the bus, rescued me after breaking down or wrecking a car, etc.
2. He always says just the right thing when I need to hear it - still makes me feel like the Princess.
3. He makes me laugh - he has a total sarcastic sense of humor
4. He introduced me to the "Oldies" - to this day I would rather listen to CCR, the Beatles, or the Byrds than any other music.
5. He makes a killer chocolate milkshake and omlete.
6. He made all seven of us kids feel like we were the only kid he had! Thanks Dad for being you!!
Shawn's Dad is amazing! Everyday I think wow - Shawn you are just like your dad. He would do ANYTHING for his kids, and he has. He spends so much time with his kids, and Shawn is just the same. He can recall specific highlights from Shawn's old football and baseball games that Shawn doesn't even remember - I love that. He also has a great sense of humor and loves to watch movies with the rest of us. He's such a hard worker, and worked since he was old enough to tie his own shoes - in fact he seems to love working on the farm. He still loves to play and we have some wicked ping pong ball tourneys when were home! Thanks Kell-Dog for being such a great father.

Yea! For Father's - I really believe that most any women can be a mother but it takes a really special and dedicated person to be a father!

4 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

You are so right! Shawn, my Dad and your dad are great people. We love the video. I've got Jake here watching it right now, too! Way to be a good dad Shawn, Sam is lucky to have you!

Andrea said...

What nice tributes!!! And I seriously love that video :) What good dad Sam has!!

Uh...so sorry about nursery today--what can I say, maybe Hunter justed wanted his dad!haha right :) Hope you guys have a fun day

Julie said...

Your tribute to Shawn, Kelly and Rick was awesome. You both are so fortunate to have such wonderful men in your lives. Shawn ...Happy Fathers Day..You are a great dad! You have certainly learned from the best. YEH! to Rick...I love the "oldies" in music too. Love you and miss you all!

Cassie said...

I love daddys day and can't wait until our little one is here for Mitch to be a dad too! I am doing okay, just feeling like it should be coming to an end any day now!! I have 2 weeks left, my doc apt is tomorrow so hopefully there will be some progression! How are you feeling??