Monday, April 20, 2009

TidBit Tuesday

As our time in Iowa starts to wind down - I've been thinking a lot about friends. A friend really took on a whole new meaning after moving out here to Iowa - 1800 miles away from our family. We have come to rely on our friends for more than just companionship and social outings. They've become our family of sorts.


I found this article online title 7 Friends All Girls Need that says our friends are not created "equal" meaning that different friends serve different purposes that we all need at some point or another. I thought about that and found that to be really true in my life.
Here's the list:

1. The kooky friend - the ones who helps you forget your troubles and just love the moment you're in
2. The new friend - the ones you get to know and keeps you excited about meeting new people
3. The friend you'll keep for life - your "kindred spirit", they are like your other half
4. The couple friends - the ones you and your spouse hang out with
5. The 9-to-5 friend - ones you see at work and help you get through the day
6. The friends who show up - the old reliable ones, who always pull through
7. The friend who's been there - the ones who have tred the difficult paths and hold your hand down your rough road

We all have different kind of friends – those who we see picking up our kids from school, those who we hang out with on the weekends, and those who we confide in, our high school BFF, etc. - and they all are important and are there for us. I have made all kinds of friends, and each and everyone is a "dear, dear" friends (as my mom would say). I don't have a picture of every friend, neighbor, or buddy, but I wanted to add some that I do have. I am forever grateful for all the friends I have in my life, because at some time or another they have been there for me! I hope that I can be one of the 7 for everyone of my friends too. This TidBit Tuesday is dedicated to friendship.
TidBit #1 - Amish Friendship Bread
Day 1 - receive the starter (the recipe for the starter is below)
Day 2 - stir
Day 3 - stir
Day 4 - stir
Day 5 - Add 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk.
Day 6 - stir
Day 7 - stir
Day 8 - stir
Day 9 - stir
Day 10 - Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Divide into 4 containers, with 1 cup each for three of your friends and 1 cup for your own loaves. Give friends the instructions for Day 1 through Day 10 and the following recipe for baking the bread.

After removing the 3 cups of batter, combine the remaining cup of Amish Friendship Bread starter with the following ingredients in a large bowl:
2/3 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Using a fork beat by hand until well blended. You can add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts (optional). Grease two loaf pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour (individual oven temperatures vary). Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans. Makes two loaves of Amish Friendship Bread.

Amish Friendship Bread Starter
This is the Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe that you’ll need to make the Amish Friendship Bread (above). It is very important to use plastic or wooden utensils and plastic or glass containers when making this. Do not use metal at all!

Ingredients:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110°F)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup warm milk (110°F)

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well.
2. In a 2 quart glass or plastic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or the flour will get lumpy when you Add the milk.
3. Slowly stir in warm milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Loosely cover the mixture with a lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle, or the day you receive the starter.


TidBit #2: Best Friend Pasta
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
sundried tomatoes in oil
1 tomato diced
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese
pancetta
1 can of artichoke hearts, chopped
basil
bow tie pasta
extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Saute pancetta, green onions, red onions in olive oil on low heat. Add tomatoes, sundried tomatoes and articokes. Add some shredded parmesan cheese and mix in cooked pasta.

TidBit #3: Friendship Cookies
1 cup butter
2 cups
brown sugar
1 cup
molasses
1 cup
peanut butter
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon
vanilla
2 large
eggs
1 1/2 cups
flour
2 cups
oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon
salt
1 tablespoon
baking powder
1 tablespoon
baking soda
1/3 cup
cocoa
1/2 cup
coconut
1 cup
chocolate chips
1/2 cup
walnuts
1/2 cup
pecans
1/2 cup
raisins

Directions: Preheat oven 400F. In a large bowl with a electric hand mixer, Blend butter and brown sugar together. Mix until creamy then add in peanutbutter, oil, vanilla and molasses. Blend until creamy. In a bowl combine flour, oatmeal, salt, coco, baking powder, baking soda, coconut, chocolate chips, walnuts, pecans and raisins. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well with wooden spoon. Add the rest of the flour mix and blend all together. With a teaspoon drop cookies on a baking stone or cookie sheet. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes then let stand for 5 minutes. But if you want a softer chewy cookie bake for 7 minutes and let stand on for 3 minutes.




TidBit #4: BFF Necklace: Finally here's a blast from the past - a Ying Yang necklace - so if all else fails, and you really need to find a way to tell a friend you love them - the ying yang necklace always does the trick:) (PLEASE not that I'm totally joking about the ying yang necklace, but don't deny it, you and your BFF had one at one time!!) Happy Tuesday and thank you all for being such great friends!




?Which friend (1-7) are you?

12 comments:

Colette said...

Thanks Megan that was a really nice post. What would we do without our friends, new and old. Thanks again!

Nick and Marci Jensen Family said...

I just really really enjoy your tidbit tuesdays....it always gets me pumped up to be a better mom and person!!! And this friendship post was awesome. keep em comin!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm all 7 of yours Meg... LOVE YOU LOTS and will always remember our fun times! I was listening to one of the CD's today from your Christmas party... Woo hoo Back in Black!

Nicolette said...

Meg, this seriously brought a tear to my eye. I don't know if it's the fluxuating hormones or what. Love you always... Jellybean (ha!)

Debbi said...

I'm the friend that doesn't comment on blogs for so long it takes her the entire day to catch up! sad! hope you house selling is going ok, and you are leaving so soon, isn't that crazy?

Team Harris said...

Haha! I totally had one of those exact bff necklaces. I thought it was sooo cool. LOL
You are lots of those 7 to me. I'm so glad for your friendship. :) Love you.

Brigit said...

Love the past few posts! Your boys are sure growing up.

I cried when we left Idaho almost 9 years ago wondering how I would ever survive without my family and friends. THEN, I cried 4 years ago when we left Iowa because I had to leave some amazing people. I still consider my Iowa friends my "best friends". We went through a lot together, and had a lot of fun. Good luck the next few months in saying your goodbyes.

Anonymous said...

This post fits you PERFECTLY. You are such a great friend to everyone you meet. I have enjoyed getting to know you. I & Iowa will truly miss you!

{Erica} said...

This post made me sooo sooo sad! I'm going to miss all my dear friends here in Iowa. I will always look back fondly at these "Student years" and remember them as some of the best times in my life I'm sure.

You better keep in touch lady :)

p.s. I'm emailing about pictures...

pps. I would any of those 7 friends I am depending on the day and the situation. I hope that I can just be the friend that someone needs :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Meg, I was going to classify our friendship but there wasn't a "coolest friend" option, so I wasn't sure what to do! HAHAHA! Okay, this did make me teary eyed, and you know how hard that is to do to me, must be the hormones. I never did have a ying-yang necklace, I had one of those broken hearts with "best" on one side and "friend" on the other. You really are a terrific friend, and the only one I know that's been in a beauty pagent...I mean a scholarship program. Okay, this is the longest comment ever.

Freeman Family said...

I am so thankful our paths have crossed during this step on your journey and we have become friends. You are the friend who always has the positive attitude, a kind word (even if you've had "one of those days") and a great piece of advice to share. Although I am dreading the day I see the SOLD sign in your front yard, and you move on, I am grateful to have had this chance to know you and your family and know that we will be friends no matter where you live.

Andrea said...

What a great post Megan. Thanks for making me super sad. haha! It is true--it will be hard to see so many good friends move in the next month or so, but what great memories we will have for a lifetime. I think you are incredible, and I am SO SO happy that I met you. You are a great friend, and I really look up to you in many ways. Have a great trip to UT, and we'll see ya when you get back in a few weeks.