Friday, February 6, 2009

Tidbit Tuesday


#1: Candy for decorations! One of my favorite ways to decorate for holidays is with candy - um no brainer there, right? I got this great idea from my sister. You take a clear vase and fill it with candy befitting the holiday, add some colorful matching flowers and wholla - center piece that you can eat.
Valentine's - conversation hearts w/ red and pink flowers
St. Patty's - gold coins with lilies or daisies
Easter - jelly beans with bright pinks, purples, yellows, oranges
4th of July - Red hots with fire cracker boxes or red and white flowers
Fall - Reese's PB cups or candy corn with fall colored wrappers and orange, yellow and brown florals
Christmas - peppermints with green and red poinsettas

#2: Different, simple ways to say I love you! The other day I left Shawn a little love letter on the mirror with lipstick and he thought that was so great. It was really simple and different. What are some easy, different ways you tell people you love them?

#3: Sour Cream Sugar Cookies - nothing says Valentine's Day more than sugar cookies do. This is my all time favorite recipe! So yummy I can literally eat 2 dozen in one sitting.
Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
1 cup sour cream
1 cup butter
6 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
Cream sugar and shortening. Add beaten eggs and sour cream. Sift together flour and other dry ingredients. Add both extract to creamed mixture. Chill before rolling. Bake 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Favorite Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
½ c. shortening
½ c. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
Cream shortening, margarine, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar. Mixture will appear dry. Add milk and beat until fluffy.

#4. 10 Things I love about You Books: We did these at Enrichment, and they turned out so cute. It's a fun, cheap, and easy way to give a Valentine to someone.

#5: Shawn and I love to watch the King of Queens nearly every night. We kind of stumbled upon the series, but quickly fell in love with it because it really reminds us of each other and our marriage to a certain degree. He's fat, I'm mean - WHO CARES?? (a line from the show) Do you have any tv show couple that reminds you of you and your spouse? Here's a few of the "best of" the King of Queens... love you Shawn!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Thanx for this, so great! I need to try those cookies:). Have u seen Mall Cop with that guy in it? Sooo funny!

loriandjd.blogspot.com said...

Cookies are a valentine favorite for me. I'll have to try that recipe. I LOVE LOVE the vase and flower, candy idea so cute. I can't wait to make one. Those are all great ideas. You are my hero also! P.S. I'm loged in under my daughter she is pink

Lindsay Sprague said...

Hey dude! totally dig your blog...your honey babies are darling!!! Loved doing your hair tonight! wish we could have gotten together like 3 years ago! we should hang out! see ya soon!

Britney said...

That is so funny that you two love that show, because Curt and I do. I am always telling him how much him and Doug have in common. Also way cute idea with the candy and flowers! I am definately going to try it!

{Erica} said...

So I have to second how good your recipe is for cookies. Thank you so much for sharing it withme months ago...I swear I inhaled them all by myself.

I write notes to bret with my lipstick too! I have to say that after a while my lipstick was being used way too much so I opted for a red dry erase marker...totally works and you don't have to "waste" your lipstick.