Monday, June 1, 2009

TidBit Tuesday

We are surviving life without Shawn, and I realize how much I take for granted those precious hours at night when he would come home and play with the boys. All in all things are going great - the boys are good, but again its only been 24 hours! Here's our TidBits this week (a tribute to camping and the great outdoors):


TidBit #1: Fresh Cucumber Relish! This is a must for me to eat hotdogs. It's really easy and drowns out the nasty hotdog taste:)

Relish
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
tomato, diced
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tblsp sugar
1 tsp Dill Weed

TidBit #2: Easy Smores: I love this idea that I stole from my sister Katie. Using Keebler chocolate graham cookies and making a sandwich with the hot, melt mallow - you get the smore flavor without all the mess and fuss of chocolate bars and graham crackers.


Tidbit #3: Mountain Man Breakfast: If you dutch oven this is a great recipe to have in the morning. It is super quick, and all in one oven which makes an easy clean up. You could also make this on your stove at home in a deep skillet.

Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns
1/2 cube butter
Salt & Pepper
6-8 eggs, scrambled
1 cup of shredded cheese
ham and/or bacon bits

Allow dutch oven to heat over fire. Put butter in oven and spread around, add hashbrowns and cook until done - salt and pepper to desired taste. Add eggs and allow to cook through. Add meat and cheese and cook until cheese melts. Enjoy!

TidBit #4: Liahona Scavenger Hunt FHE - I threw this together last night and Sam really thought it was fun. I showed him the picture of Lehi and his family holding the Liahona, and told him how it only guided them if the people were being righteous or making good choices. Then we had a Liahona scavenger hunt - I wrote out good choices and bad choices and then a direction of where to go next (Ex: You shared a toy with Jack - go to Jack's Bedroom; or You hurt your friends feelings (Oops - what should you do to make it better? - then a new direction) He ended up getting a prize in the end after following the directions. He thought it was great, and it was easy to throw together.

7 comments:

Colette said...

Thanks for the fun ideas. Your camping trip looked like a lot of fun. Boys and peeing outdoors, they love it, only problem is once you get back to town and they try it outside, luckily we've outgrown it, I think??? Jack is SO cute!

Mandi said...

I was home alone for a week while Weston was on a business trip a couple weeks ago. The first few nights I found myself trying to put the kids to bed at 5:30. After failing miserable for three nights in a row I went to my moms for dinner and entertainment in the evenings for the rest of the week. I am amazed by you doctors' wives. I could never do it. But hey when you move home you can hang out at the sandbar with Jenna, Penny and I to pass the time. I know you can't wait for that!!

Andrea said...

Ohh...I love your FHE scavenger hunt you just "threw together." What a clever one you are. We use those cookies for smores too. So much easier to eat without all the mess.

Yep! Can't wait to get my sew on tomorrow. Plan on around 9:15ish.

Julie said...

The cucumber relish sounds yummy! I am sure you miss Shawn terribly. Hang in there. Call if you need some company. Love and miss you all....

Anonymous said...

Love all the great ideas. The scavenger hunt I will have to try. That sounds really fun.
I so don't like having my husband gone. I fill for you. Please let me know if you need anything!

{Erica} said...

Yummy! Can't wait to try the relish.

p.s. we use the keebler chocolate covered grahams (they are square). they work.

Nick and Brent said...

Can I just say I love it when you put recipes and fun ideas on your blog? I love trying new recipes, we made bread and scones the other day with your recipe and it was great! Love it and thank you! P.S. We do the cookie idea for scones too!