Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Nothing Like Grass on your Cleats!

Saturday kicked off soccer season for Sam. This is his third season, and we've moved up to the "big leagues" in the under-8 category. I can see that sports are starting to get more intense and more important, now seeing parents pacing the sidelines and overhearing strategies for success being discussed during breaks. I'm not sure if I'm ready for this move up - but sooner or later it was going to happen. I'm a pretty vocal parent as far as cheering my child and his teammates on - an occasional Yay! Yay! Yay! might escape my mouth from time to time:)
*Note the "Erkel Look": they make the kids tuck in their jerseys, not a fashion friendly choice!


Sam was thrilled to get his jersey and have it be any color other than purple (Navy Blue this year!) He is one of the youngest kids on the team, and after his first practice, my expectations for Sam's performance were a little low. We never really play soccer at our house, so Sam's exposure is limited to his practices and games which have been ULTRA basic. However, saying this with complete objectivity, he proved to be a scrapper! He was one of the smallest kids there (there was one girl that was literally 1 1/2 feet taller than Sam) he managed to get in there and make some progress with the ball down the field. I love Sam's competitive nature, his drive to do well, and his love for being apart of a team. I hope this provides years and years of cheering him on in whatever venue he falls in love with!

Here's a still-shot movie of one of Sam's long drives:


2 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I bet you are the best Soccer Mom on the field! Brooklyn is playing soccer this year too and it is fun being a soccer Mom.

Ashton & Co. said...

HE is so cute and big playing soccer! I had a lot of posts to catch up on!!! I agree Lyv has grown up a to lately! that pic with her hair all done up sitting in the chair (with those killer boots on BTW) is SOOOO cute. that story of Jack and Lyv was so sad. I love how you said to never judge another mom because you don't know what kind of day they have had. SOme of the faces SHawn is pulling in those pics are also darling. Love that her wrestles with your kids! Joel needs to show Sam and Jack a move or two to teach their dad,.I don't know if Shawn ever told you but I ALWAYS beat him at wrestling and then there was the time he tried and about broke his back...wrestling was never his thing, but I won't tell that to your boys! Miss you guys and so glad you have power and water now!!!! I'm gunna start calling you Emma! :)