Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer Fun Before Life Changes Forever

As Sam prepares to enter the public school system and forever change the freestyle way of our life, we stock piled a lot of fun activities to commemorate this experience. It is 2 days away and I know that I'm not really prepared for the time to come. I'm so sad! But it is a great thing for Sam and HE is sooo excited. Here's some fun:


Hiking at Vernooey Kill Falls in Kerhonkson, NY. This was supposed to be a little kids friendly hike. Mind you it wasn't long (3.8 miles roundtrip). But I was thinking flat little walkway, frolicking in the woods with the two little ones in a stroller. The stroller only lasted about 1/4 mile before it was abandoned, and then the two little ones were packed on our backs for the rest of the slightly uphill hike. The falls were pretty cool and we were able to walk through them and in them. The kids enjoyed being outside, but Shawn assured me that hiking with its sweat, exertion, heat, and pretty much walking in general was not worth staying at the falls for 20 minutes. I told him this is the only hike that we'll go on until the kids get older.

Drive In Movie - A family favorite. Lyv wasn't very fun on this trip, she spent most of the time rearrange the controls in the car. The boys had a great time and who doesn't love fresh popped popcorn covered in buttery goodness?



Me and My Mom: If you've ever read the Mercer Meyer book "Just Me and My Mom" Little Critter and his mom go on an adventure to the big city. Well Sam and I took our last weekend of his freedom and headed south to NYC. We took the train from Poughkeepsie, stopping at Grand Central Station, and then subwayed ourselves over to the Museum of Natural History. We had a great time gazing at the huge dinosaur displays, seeing all the ocean animals, African, Asian, and North American mammals, and the Indian displays. Sam couldn't leave without seeing "Dum Dum give me Gum Gum!" I had such a great time with Sam. It is such a great thing to spend one on one time with your kids - you get to see so much more of their individual personality in these times then at any other.





Good Luck with school Sam - you'll do great. Good luck to myself in surviving without crying that day.

2 comments:

Freeman Family said...

Oh Meg, trust me you will bawl like a a baby! Carter has been in school 3 weeks now and I still tear up every morning! He will do great and you'll be amazed at how different your life at home is like with only 2 kids! So glad you guys spent some one on one time together before the big day! We'll be thinking of you guys! Hugs!

Nick and Brent said...

I love that mercer mayer book, what a fun idea to do! And how cool you guys could ride the train into the actual "city" and visit the coolest museum ever!