Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful



“To be grateful is to recognize the Love of God in everything He has given us - and He has given us everything. Every breath we draw is a gift of His love, every moment of existence is a grace, for it brings with it immense graces from Him. 
Gratitude therefore takes nothing for granted, is never unresponsive, is constantly awakening to new wonder and to praise of the goodness of God. For the grateful person knows that God is good, not by hearsay but by experience. And that is what makes all the difference.” 
       ― Thomas Merton


Each year I always note how Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  It continues to hold 1st Place this year.  Probably because I'm getting more "mature", but I feel like I have so much to be grateful for. Shawn and I are approaching our 10 year anniversary, and I'm going to be 30 next year, and as I reflect back on my years I realize how blessed I am, and how God's Hand has been ever present in my life.  I have taken roads that I thought I wouldn't travel, and at times have been discouraged by some of the ways things have seemed to go - but each and every time, they have been for my good, and have brought me the ultimate happiness.  I am so grateful for all that I have - for my health, for the blessing of being a daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother, and a friend.

This Thanksgiving, with the arrival of Max I feel extremely grateful for my ability to have children.  I am also so grateful for Sam's desire to choose the right and his love of learning - I am grateful for Jack's sense of humor and purity of loving life - I am grateful for Lyv's love for pretty things and the softness she brings to our home - I am grateful for Max's healthy body and happy countenance.

I am grateful for Shawn, who is really the greatest husband and friend I have ever had.  He does so much to help me, and his thoughts are constantly on how he can help our family.  I am truly blessed.  I am thankful for my parents, especially my mother who came to nurse me back to health after baby #4 utterly exhausted me.  I am thankful for my in-laws who always come to visit and share and show love to us even though we are so far away, and who include me in their family like I was a daughter.  I am thankful for friends and family who called, texted, or messaged congratulations and concerns as we had Max.

I have been so blessed with extraordinary siblings and friends - they are constants in my life.  Lastly I am grateful for this experience we call life.  I have been blessed to have a testimony of the restored gospel, and to know plan of salvation.  I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who shows His love for me every day.  I am grateful for a loving Savior who died for me that I might be able to live again, and live in peace and joy.

"Gratitude is a Spirit‑filled principle. It opens our minds to a universe permeated with the richness of a living God. Through it, we become spiritually aware of the wonder of the smallest things, which gladden our hearts with their messages of God's love. This grateful awareness heightens our sensitivity to divine direction. When we communicate gratitude, we can be filled with the Spirit and connected to those around us and the Lord. Gratitude inspires happiness and carries divine influence." Bonnie Parkin


1 comment:

My Everythings said...

Beautiful. And I am glad to know Shawn is the best husband you have ever had! haha!