Thursday, November 15, 2012

To each their own - Max's Birth Story

Each of our children's births have been so different, so I should have anticipated yet another "experience" - and that it was.  My mom flew into Albany on the 8th - Max's due date (her travel saga is an complete nightmare complete with an overnight stay at the Detriot airport), but we were glad to have her here!  So bring on baby Max...right?  Wrong! We went into see the doctor on Friday the 9th, the day after Max's due date - where the doctor stripped my membranes and sent me home with an appointment to come back on Monday if nothing had happened.  They were very hesistant to talk about induction, just because they didn't want to increase my chances for c-section, so we were all hoping that this would kick start the entire process. If it didn't, they said they let could let me go up to 2 weeks over rather than inducing! I was bound and determined not to let that happen.  We had a 10 day window with my mom being here and I needed to use her as much as possible.

During the past week and half, I didn't sleep well anticipating that I would wake up in the middle of the night contracting, but nothing.  Finally after many walks/runs/jumps on the trampoline I woke up on Sunday morning (11th) with contractions.  5:11 a.m. to be exact.  I was so excited to get this going that it was hard to go back to sleep.  We walked, I started to read Killing Kennedy, and started timing contractions.  At about 4:00 pm we headed over to the hospital to get a labor check - basically nothing had happened!) They sent me home!
This was seriously devastating to me, because it was like a twilight zone episode.  This is exactly what happened with Sam's labor and I was in labor with him for 30 hours.  I felt exhausted already and prayed that something would happen fast. I already had some major anxiety with this delivery because of the group of doctors we had this time around.  They are great doctors, I really do like them, but there is a different philosophy here that favors a more "Natural" focus on birthing.  That is fine and dandy, but I have no desire to feel any of my delivery - I am a HUGE fan of drugs and epidurals...so I wanted to be able to have #4 with a big smile on my face just like I had the first three.  
At about 6:30 pm my pains are getting super intense and with the exhaustion on top of the pain, I'm worried that I won't be able to stay in control of the pain, so we head back to the hospital.  (I'm SOOOO grateful that my mom was here during this whole process, because we didn't ever have to worry about the kiddos).  We get there and thankfully I've progressed to a 4 and so they are willing to admit me.  Then they start working on getting me some pain meds! WooHoo!!  BUT....they aren't fans of epidurals.  They prefer to do intrathecals.  The main difference... intrathecals are a one time shot, they take the pain away but not the pressure, and are easier to administer.  Epidurals are constant relief, take a little longer to start, but relieve ALL of the pain and pressure.  
I wasn't going to argue too hard because at the point I couldn't even see straight!  I just wanted some relief.  I got the intrathecal at 9:00 p.m., my water breaks during the process.  One of my favorite experiences during all of my deliveries are with these anesthesia docs.  They sit there and try to get me to bend my back in a curve (don't mind this HUGE baby in my belly) all while holding still during a contractions!  It is crazy....and this one throws in the fact that this pregnancy has created a slight curve in my spine, so now I have scoliosis.  
Once my water breaks - my babies come like a Mack truck and we delivered Max at 10:32 p.m.  The delivery was MUCH, MUCH more intense than my others.  I definitely felt "pressure"!  I've never let out any sound during a delivery and I did with Max.  I have a huge awe for women who are crazy enough to do it natural, I have a better idea for how they feel they HAVE to push.  At one point my doctor told me to slow down, and I looked at her like she was insane.... there would be no stopping until the baby was out!  So long story, but happy ending, and we have a beautiful, healthy Max to make it all worth it!






















We struggled with a name for a long time.  About 2 weeks ago we finally decided on Max, but the middle name was up in the air.  I liked Hill as a middle name so he would have the same initials as me, like Sam has with Shawn.  But after having Max and sitting to finalize a name for the birth certificate I mentioned Shawn, and that was it.  I still like Hill, but I can't imagine having a better person in the entire world to have been named after than Shawn.  I felt a huge confirmation that the reason I was having so many boys was because they have such a wonderful father. So Max Shawn Summers, you have some pretty big shoes to fill - and you are lucky they are your incredibly wonderful Pappa's!

The kids were sooooo excited to get Max here.  Especially after going over my due date, each extra day just made them more excited.  In fact when we came home from going to the hospital the first time on Sunday, Sam and Jack about sent me back out the door!  Luckily because of Veteran's Day, no one had school and they came Monday to give Max a huge welcome!

Grandma Julianne with Max, grand baby #30 for my parents. She is the saint angel who has taken care of me and my kids for the past 10 days!  Thank you mom, you are truly the greatest.  I could not have done this without you here.




Taking Max home was very sentimental for me, because this could very well be my last baby.  I am always just amazed at the instant increase of love that you feel when a new baby comes.  Being a parent is such a blessing and such a privilege - I am so grateful for each one of my children.  This fourth pregnancy has given me a lot to really think about as we consider whether our family is complete.  My pregnancy was much more difficult physically and my recovery has been a lot slower this time around.  I don't feel the spring in my step - but I do feel like I have a greater appreciation for gift of life and the gift of love that each of my kids has brought to my life.  For that I am grateful beyond words for.



4 comments:

Beth Willmore said...

First of all AMEN on the drugs baby!! I seriously think that women who go all natural are out of their minds...

Max is so beautiful and I'm so glad your mom could be there to help you out!

I also love it that your doc told you to slow down... um has she ever delivered a baby before? You don't just think, "huh, I'm going to take a break for a while..."

Freeman Family said...

All I can say is I just LOVE him! When I started reading his birth story, I thought, "oh, no this is going to be like Sam's! Those big babies just want to stay in! Max weighed the same as our smallest! ha ha! So glad you mom was there with you. She is just as amazing as you are! We love you all!

Nick and Brent said...

Congratulations! So happy for you and your family! You are a champ, I would have demanded an epidural immediately! Kudos to women who birth naturally, but I am like you and I like the drugs. :) Take care of yourself and hope your recovery gets better. He is a beautiful baby!

allison said...

Congratulations he is darling!