Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Washington, D.C.

Our Spring Break always coincides with Passover and Easter so we decided to make a last adventure out of the kids' break - and visit our Nation's capital.  I haven't been since I was a senior in High School 12 years ago, so it was great to go back and revisit these incredible places.  
Shawn had surgery the day we left, and ended up being stuck in his last case a few hours longer than he anticipated.  The kids were DYING to get on the road, and it took everything I could think of to keep them entertained while we waited.  We had indulged in some Easter activities throughout the week, and luckily the last project was completed on Thursday - Naked Eggs.  Totally worth the wait the kids loved that these bounced and were colored.  We drove all night to D.C., and started our Friday fresh at the National Zoo!  I love seeing animals at the zoo, and so did the kids.  Our favorites were the gorillas and the octopus.  This beast of a gorilla was throwing his weight around and ended up stealing all of the food bags that they gave out to the others earlier.  I can't say I blame them, if he came toward me, I would pee my pants!
 

 Here is one of the pandas - FAR...in the distance, they are the biggest attraction there.  After the zoo we took the Metro down to the National Mall.  I've never been to the WWII memorial, and as we walked we were happy to take in the other favorite monuments and landmarks: The White House, the Washington Monument (555 ft. and 5 inches tall!)


This little man was SUCH a good baby throughout each day (the night was a completely different story) - he slept for most of the walking and just cooed and smiled at us for the rest of the time.  He's been really sticking out his tongue a lot lately, and even smiles while doing it.  I could just eat him up!


 I love WWII - it is my favorite historical period.  I'm constantly in awe at how amazingly courageous and selfless the men and women were during this time period.  People then were just GOOD.  I loved this quote:

 I took a picture of all of our kids in their birth state!  Yes, each one has been born in a different state.  We like to think we pick them up as we go.  Will there be a Washington state baby? Yet to be determined.
 Saturday we started out at Ford's Theater! Shawn hadn't been there.  I HEART Pres. Lincoln... another person in history who I can't get enough of because of his innate Goodness!  I forgot to mention that we were exploring D.C. with our good friends the Thun's.  Somehow we never managed to get a picture of the entire group...we were quite the entourage with 4 strollers, 7 kids, and a partridge in a pear tree! After Ford's the sun broke through and we enjoyed the kite festival taking place at the Mall.  We went to the Museum of American History and the National Aquarium.  Our favorite was the Star-Spangled Banner (the flag that hung over Fort McHenry in Baltimore that inspired the national anthem). It is 30 x 36 feet - and amazing!



Easter Sunday the Easter Bunny magically knew that we were in a hotel in D.C., and left eggs for the kids to find in our room. They cleaned house in a about 3 minutes.  We spent the day at our final spot - Mount Vernon.  It was a little overcast, but I love this property. Our kids loved the spring piglets and lambs.  

 Overall - our trip was really fun. The kids were troopers and I'm glad we've had so many opportunities to explore the East coast.  At times we get a little overwhelmed with the getting ins and outs of having the kids with us... and trying not to notice other people staring at you as your struggling; having the kids not really "appreciate" the vacation - and only wanting to swim at the hotel, but I know that the kids will be able to look back at these times and have good memories.

I couldn't resist these two parting shots because they are things I hope I always remember and that I'm always grateful for: #1) Shawn is an incredible father.  Here he is with his four greatest loves and four biggest fans - I hope they know how lucky they are to have him.  #2) Shawn and I - as our adventure continues back West, I reflect on all we've experienced and I'm so grateful to have such a great companion.

No comments: