Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TidBit Tuesday

Food has always been a major tradition maker in my family. As a small child I remember specific events, holidays, and occasion marked with certain food items. My mom is an incredible cook and baker! Here are three of the food traditions that she had, and that I have continued to carry over into my own family to some degree! Thanks Mom - you're the best!


#1: General Conference = Cinnamon Rolls: Nothing says General Conference (a worldwide broadcast from the LDS church leaders to the entire membership of the church - we get a chance to hear from the prophet and apostles and recieve guidance on issues that affect us today) more than yummy, hot sticky cinnamon rolls dripping with frosting and a cold glass of milk. EVERY General Conference we eat cinnamon and Shawn doesn't mind a bit that I feel that this is a tradition worth continuing! So if you happen to be around our house this Saturday or Sunday, you'll be able to sample one these favorite treats. If not, here's the recipe:


Mom’s Cinnamon Rolls
2 Tblsp yeast
½ cup warm water
1 Tblsp sugar
Mix and let rise in a cup

¾ cup sugar
1-2 Tbsp salt
¼ cup butter
2 cups scalded milk
4 slightly beaten eggs
6 cups flour
Mix sugar, butter, milk, and salt. Add eggs to cool. After cooled add yeast mixture. Add flour and let rise for 1-2 hours. Roll dough out using flour generously, the dough will be very sticky. Melt ½ cube of butter and spread on dough. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Roll and slice. Dip rolls in ½ cube of butter and place on a cookie sheet. Let rise for ½ hour. Bake at 375 for 22 minutes.

#2: Scone Day = Scones of Course! Every Wednesday was my mom's day off from work and she would cook us lunch, which consisted of a main course and scones from her homemade bread dough on the side. This special day was one that I always loved as a child and one that grew in popularity, as we began bringing our friends over to eat lunch with us! By the time I was a junior in high school, my older brother and I had 30-40 people eating lunch with us every Wednesday! Seriously it is crazy now that I consider the number of people my mom graciously fed each Wednesday! I love my mom especially for this tradition - she always loved us and our friends and makes anyone who enters our home feel welcome. I don't have scones every Wednesday - to Shawn's dismay - but if I ever make bread, I will always set aside some dough and fry scones with it. As my boys get to be school age I hope to be able to carry this tradition on to them. Here's the bread dough recipe (which by the way makes INCREDIBLE! bread) and you just take the dough and fry it in vegetable oil until cooked through and serve hot, with honey butter!!

Mom’s Homemade Bread
½ cup warm water
2 Tblsp yeast
1 Tblsp sugar
Mix ingredients together, let yeast react. Mix the following ingredients in a large bowl.

¾ cup sugar
¾ cup oil
2 Tblsp salt
5 cups hot water
8 cups flour

Mix and add yeast mixture. Add 4-6 more cups of flour. Work dough until no longer sticks to hands. Grease bowl with oil, let dough rise for 1 hour. Makes 5-6 loaves (raise in loaf pans for an additional 30 minutes) Cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Coat top with butter when done.

#3: Leg of Lamb = Easter: Most people might have ham for Easter, not us! My mom's father was a sheep rancher and therefore, we grew up eating lamb (and in some cases raising the lambs and then eating them at adulthood! Sick, I know!) Leg of lamb, lamb chops, lamb stew... you get the idea. Lamb is definetly a specific tasting meat and when cooked well, is DELICIOUS!! My favorite gravy comes from a good lamb roast - and for my entire life I've had lamb on Easter in some shape or form. Lamb is also pretty expensive, so I choose to go for the chops right now which are most cost effective for our little family. But nothing beats a good leg of lamb! Here's the recipe and if you feeling a need to branch out and explore this would be a good try!
Leg of Lamb
Coat roast with salt, pepper, and heavy garlic. Cook at 325 for 3 hours, use drippings for gravy.
What are some of your food traditions? I'd love to hear!

11 comments:

Colette said...

YUM!! Those cinnamon rolls look SO good right now. Thanks for sharing the recipes. I love the pictures of your boys, Jack being pulled by Sam in his tractor is SO cute!

Julie said...

I enjoyed the recipes. I am not a cinnamon roll maker....Kelly doesn't care much for them.....weird huh? I have had a leg of lamb and it wasn't too bad.... Your Mom does make good rolls though....I have enjoyed them on occasion....yummmy!! You make great rolls and cinnnamon rolls too. Learned from the best.

Andrea said...

You are making my mouth water Megan. Those cinnamon rolls look divine. I am afraid I would end up eating the entire pan if I made them. Not so good on the waistline. I love food traditions, they are so fun to look forward to. So are you cooking up a lamb this Easter??? That sounds tricky to make. We always do the ever creative and unusual choice of Ham for Easter. haha. I love spiral cut ham the best. Thanks for posting the recipes

Nick and Brent said...

Yum! I love to try new recipes...though I'm not sure I'm ambitious enough to do the lamb. :)

kim said...

I must admit I always wanted your moms scone recipe. I came a few times for "scone day" i will not lie it was a big deal and anyone who got to go was very lucky. I secretly wanted the recipe forever and am so excited to make them. Brian will appreciate it I am sure. To share a tradition: The night before easter we make nests. They are like rice crispy treats but with chow mein noodles and it looks like a birds nest and we got to shape them anyway we wanted and then we left them out and the next morning they were filled with candy. As we all are together making our nests we talk about why we celebrate easter. It is a great tradition that I have carried on to my family. We also make mini ones to give to friends, teachers, etc. Look at my blog closer to easter for pictures. What a great post. I love keeping up on friends wonderful lives.

Freeman Family said...

Next time I have a Wednesday off I am coming over for lunch! Yummy! What a great wife and mommy you are! Thanks for the super yummy warm cookies the other night..I'll take that recipe when you get a chance! I think the only tradition I can think of off the top of my head is we make a birthday cake for baby Jesus on Christmas eve! But you have inspired me to start some more!

Anonymous said...

All that food looks DIVINE. I am a terrible cinnamon roll, scone and bread maker. Every time I find a new recipe I try it in hopes that it will be the one to change this very sad fact. I am hopeful that one of yours will do the trick. Thanks for the recipes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan, it's Amanda Bitton from the good ole SFHS days. I was viewing Nicolette's blog and came upon yours, I admit I'm a blog stalker. I love your blog and how you have it organized!! Especially love your recipes, your mom is amazing!! Your children are amazing and I had no idea you live in the mid west/east. You can e-mail me at abitton23@msn.com if you want access to our blog. Can't wait to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

yummy, can you make me some cinnamon rolls? Remember when we had Easter at your house...that was the only time I've had lamb!

Commissioner Z. McKinlay said...

Oh man! My mouth is watering for Scone Day! Your mom is seriously the best cook and Scone Day will forever be a highlight of my high school memories. Thanks for the recipe. Zac has been begging for homemade cinnamon rolls:)

Valerie said...

I'm just learning to bake with yeast so I'm looking forward to trying the bread and the scones--from the same recipe. Awesome!