Monday, May 13, 2013

My best blessings call me Mom

Some days I must admit that I wish my kids would learn another name to call when they need their shoes tied, help in the bathroom, a snack, a boost, etc. And just as the thought crosses my mind, and I sadly see already how quickly that time is coming, and I wish that they will call me at all.  Being a mother is the most challenging, most demanding role I have ever played.  But it is by leaps and bounds the most rewarding, fun, breath taking, pure, joyful experience as well.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a mother and learn from four tailor-made teachers.
In the last General Conference a talk was given that talked about the importance of motherhood, and it quoted a blog written by a Christian mother of another faith, but I loved and agree whole heartedly with her. Speaking of today's view of motherhood, she wrote, 
"Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get. In fact, children rate below your desire to sit around and pick your toes, if that is what you want to do. Below everything. Children are the last thing you should ever spend your time doing. Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It is what God gave you time for." (www.desiringgod.org)

No comments: