Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Schenanigans - All in Context

Some things taken out of context end up sounding like bad things, but when you take those phrases and put them in their proper context, you'll find that things aren't always what they seem....

Waking at 6:00 A.M. - I am a morning person, but I consider waking at 7:00-7:30ish to be morning, so when Lyv decided that her internal alarm was set at 6:00, I put up a little protest as I sleepily stumbled down the stairs, UNTIL I found this (I love how she plays with her feet)...., heard a lot of bah, bah, bah, bah...; peeked over the crib and got this reaction.....Now I treasure those early morning minutes (minutes because my other two boys are early birds too) with Lyv. She is soooo happy in the morning and its great to have just girl time. Lyv is now 4 months, and we introduced her to rice cereal. She wasn't a huge fan, and I know that she knows there is much better cuisine out there. She has become SUPER mobile! Yikes, she thinks she needs to squirm and wiggle her way off of everything or around in circles. I found her like this the other day when I in hurry and just set her in the bouncer without buckling it - I guess I've learned my lesson.
I did designate some girl time for Lyv and I this week and painted our toenails - did I mention I really like having a girl???

Shawn pinning down a little old 90-year-old lady - An elderly woman with dementia came into the hospital the other day where Shawn was doing a rotation with the infectious disease docs and had a HUGE abscess on her cheek that needed to be taken care of (AKA popped and squeezed like a big zit - totally disgusting!) Well she was not going to have any of this and refused, so Shawn had to pin her arms down while the other doctor performed the procedure. The entire time she was swearing at both of them, but afterwards hardly remembered having it happen. So watch out elderly woman, Shawn doesn't care if you're frail, old, dainty, grandmotherly.... he's gonna go for the TKO!

Finding Peanut butter all over clean dishes - Sam is officially not a little kid anymore. He is big, he is independent, and he is very helpful. As I went to unload the dishwasher the other day I found big hunks of Peanut Butter on a section of the clean utensils, then I found a spoon covered in PB in there. He had gotten himself a snack of PB and pretzels, and cleaned up his mess, by putting everything away. How could I get mad at him for being a helper?
Sam LOVES this new BYU shirt (they are $5 from the BYU Bookstore if you're interested). These pics are all taken on different days, and as soon as he finds it clean he wears it again.... True Blue!!! He's also been showing Jack how to drive the Gator and taking him on some pretty wild rides. It's a good thing our yard is big because they would have destroyed a smaller piece of lawn.

Becoming "one" with the Mr. Clean Eraser - Jack has finally found something that he actually likes to do that is a "kid friendly" activity. He apparently inherited his daddy's artistic abilities and has been coloring up a storm. Unfortunately, Jack, being Jack, also colors on the floor, or the table, or the wall, or whatever is around him at the time. I'm not going to discourage this as long as its only crayons because he really likes to color! We've also discovered that he is a lefty - thanks Grandpa Kelly!Head-wound Harry has returned, this time right between the eyes. Poor Jack can't go a week without a new wound on his noggin, and he's gotten to the point where he doesn't even cry anymore when he gets hurts! I wonder sometimes if he will have side effects from all of the head injuries but Shawn just thinks his face with be like it has botox with all the scar tissue he is acquiring. And as mentioned above Jack has been learning how to drive the Gator, again good and bad. Good that he can participate in playing, bad that he is terrible driver (I know he's only 2 but come on)... I either have to run next to the Gator as he drives in order to help steer or send Sam with him, which always ends in a fight. Its a work in progress, but he thinks he's pretty cool...

5 comments:

My Everythings said...

Rogan is just the same as Jack. Always a new wound. Yesterday Colton bit him on the arm so hard that he still has marks from it today, yet he didn't even flinch when it happened. Craziness.

Brigit said...

How cute!! I love all the stories. The pics are darling. The kids are all getting so big!! My first thought about Jack being left handed was that all of our second children are lefties - Abbie, Tess and Jack. Crazy huh!!! Keep the posts coming - we love them!!!

Julie said...

A lefty huh? Thanks Grandpa Summers!! Love to see Jack with Shawns artist ability but we'll see how cute it is when he colors your furniture with magic marker! Mic and Shawn had a hay day with our toy box and the markers. I wasn't so thrilled!! Oh well, at least it wasn't the walls. I love the pic of Lyvs toes all painted up! I miss you all so much! Love to all of you!!

Ashton & Co. said...

I love this post! It's so great we have these computers so we can look at all that is going on with you guys. I miss you all so much. The kids are too cute---Lyv's smile is to die for. Sounds like Shawn is getting things taken care of in NY, even with the old ladies...I think it's funny Jack is a lefty like all 2nd children in our family. That is kinda crazy. His head wounds have to be like world records by now. poor kid. He is too cute, too, and Sam is definitely getting so big. No way could you get mad at him over being such a good helper! Great pics. Keep 'em coming!

Freeman Family said...

I just want to kiss Lyv's cheeks and her little painted toes. Way to start her early on the pedicures! I have to give them to Claire weekly and now she has to have a little flower sticker on her big toe. Oh and I thank God daily for Mr. Clean! Miss you guys!